Re: Phase One’s Capture One 20 Released

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Re: Phase One’s Capture One 20 Released Read 270 Times
  • William Rabinovich
    William Rabinovich
    Participant
    Capture One
    on: December 8, 2019 at 2:22 pm

Kevin

since you’re hooked into the Phase One folks, I wonder if you have some insights into why the last two rounds of updates (11-12 and 12-20) have been so underwhelming, particularly given the large increase in the upgrade costs.

I use and like Capture One, but it has seemed to me that the pace of improvement in it has slowed to a crawl. Aside from luminosity masking, improvements in the last two years have been limited to tweaks on the existing features. That’s despite the fact that there are a bunch of features and improvements people have been asking for over the years (on the Capture One forums and elsewhere).  You listed a few in your article. I’d add stacks, the ability to look at a soft proofed and non-soft proofed version of an image at the same time, improved DAM performance and perhaps some simple HDR blending (like LR). They added a plug in architecture, but then didn’t seem to recruit developers for it, since there are few plug ins.

I skipped the 11-12 upgrade, and I only got the 12-20 because I bought a new camera. Given that the upgrades cost more than half the cost of a new license, it just hasn’t seemed compelling.

It seemed to me that Phase One had a real opportunity when LR went to a subscription only model, but they just don’t seem to have the desire. or the depth on their software dev team, to go for it. Any idea why?

Jeff Griffin
    Jeff Griffin
    Participant
    Re: Re: Phase One’s Capture One 20 Released
    Reply #1 on: December 9, 2019 at 10:34 am

I think they are caught in two worlds for feature development just now and have perhaps lost focus a little.

1) Adding features for their Phase One camera users, like barcode scanning.

2) Adding features to appeal to other users, those from Lightroom in particular.

Unlike with v12 when I took an instant interest in Luminosity Masking which I have used extensively the new features in v20: Noise Reduction, HDR, Basic Colour Editor will take a while to understand / test before adding to my regular workflow.

Also, it appears that there are some issues with functionality ( bugs ? ) being mentioned over in the Capture One forums which hopefully will be addressed in a 20.0.1 update fairly soon.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Jeff Griffin.
    Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Keymaster
    Reply #2 on: December 9, 2019 at 11:22 am

I anxiously await capture one 20.1. As I put in my article like many of you I’m still waiting for features that I’ve requested for many years that seem simple to implement yet never seem to get implemented. I will be talking to some of the people at Phase One soon. I’ll try to get an answer to many of my questions although many times they’re very elusive. In any case, I find Capture One 20 working just fine. I am wondering and will try out the catalog soon to see if it’s any better than the issues that I had with it before. I’ll keep you posted. I do like luminosity masking and the grayscale preview of masks.

Kevin Raber
    CEO & Publisher of PhotoPXL.com and Rockhopperworkshops.com

Paul Sokal
    Paul Sokal
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019 at 5:23 pm

<p>I preordered and installed it the day it came out.  Since I’ve never had an upgrade issue, I promptly upgraded my catalog-moderate mistake. I was working in 20 and suddenly it disappeared. Of course 12 couldn’t open my upgraded catalog but reinstalled 20 and everything seemed to be okay. It has happened once since.  Sent a report to the home office. More problematic was yesterday when I was trying to do a localized skin edit using “skin tone” in the color editor. I was working in an adjustment layer and had used the brush to localize the target area. However, when I move the sliders the changes affected the entire image. The advanced color editor only affected the masked area. This is the Windows version. Sent another report to tech support.  Haven’t heard anything from either report which makes me think they are flooded with bug reports. Maybe they should have beta’d this version a bit longer.  Seems half-baked right now, though I’m sure they will fix it all and give us a nice, crusty top.</p>

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019 at 12:34 pm

Have encountered several bugs in 20 as well. 20.1 will be good!

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

William Rabinovich
    William Rabinovich
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019 at 8:55 pm

1. Stacks. Aperture had them. Lightroom has them. The ability for a user to select a set of photos and group them together in a stack is very useful. It is also helpful to be able to collapse the stack so that in the browser only one, user selected, photo in the stack is visible.

A set of printing related improvements

2. More useful soft proofing. Soft proofing should not be a global setting that affects all images. Instead it should be applied on an image by image basis so that it is possible to compare the soft-proofed versus non-soft proofed version. Also, rendering intent (i.e. perceptual, relative etc) should be in the process recipe not a global preference for the entire application.

3. There is a setting for output sharpening in the process recipes. This is what is used when viewing in proof mode. There is  another sharpening setting in the print dialog. It is not clear if these are the same. If they’re not they should be.

4. It would be very useful if the Printing capabilities of Capture One were improved. In particular, I would like to be able to set varying cell sizes in a template so that all the pictures on one page do not need to be the same size.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Keymaster
    Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019 at 11:48 pm

Good points and I agree.  The Phase One guys watch this forum so they will pick up on this.  I have made several other suggestions.  Like if they have a set of keyboard commands that can show a before and after, how hard would it be to make a button of it or even e cooler a slide over.  The Keystone lines are so thin that when using them a lot of time they get lost in the photo.  There should be a preference to set thickness and cool. The printing module need real fixing updating.

I am doing more and more of my work in C1 especially with luminosity layers.  It would be nice to have a history panel also.

Where’s the Capture One app?

Kevin Raber
    CEO & Publisher of PhotoPXL.com and Rockhopperworkshops.com

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: January 3, 2020 at 7:52 pm

All good ideas, William. One of my favourite things from Lr when doing culling is being able to have both the Survey View and the Compare View. In Survey View I can select 2, 10 or whatever images and view them all at once, and in Compare View I can select those same 10 images, see two at a time, zoom in, choose between them, close one and compare the one to the next in the list. C1 has a sort of hybrid where I can select a group of images, set one as the ‘most selected’ and I can zoom/pan them all, but with say even six or eight images open I don’t have enough screen real estate to get a good enough look. I really miss Compare View in C1. Yes, I could select two, compare them, choose one, go back to the grid, pick two, bring them up… but it shouldn’t be that hard.

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.