Printer Connection

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Printer Connection Read 553 Times
  • George Stark
    George Stark
    Participant
    Epson Printers
    on: October 8, 2020 at 6:11 pm

Taking delivery of the new Epson P900 next week…

Can anyone tell me which is the best connection between iMac and Printer….. USB  or Wired Network… ( Printer wired to router via CAT5)… is one faster than the other or more reliable in any way or does it matter at all?…. just curious if I should save my USB cable attached to the old Epson 3880…. Thanks

George

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Re: Printer Connection
    Reply #1 on: October 8, 2020 at 6:59 pm

In terms of speed, the bottleneck is the data being printed so either will do.

I use both, I find USB a bit more reliable but Ethernet is fine if your hub/system is up to snuff. You can run Ethernet a lot farther.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

George Stark
    George Stark
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: October 8, 2020 at 7:26 pm

Thanks so much…I appreciate you taking the time to educate me…

cheers

George

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: October 8, 2020 at 9:51 pm

To be honets with you I find the wireless coonection pretty darn fast too.  Wireless is so easy to useespecially if you want to print from other computrs or mobile devices.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Jeff Schewe
    Jeff Schewe
    Gold Member
    Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020 at 3:26 am

Pretty sure at this point, all connection methods are pretty much the same speed…the slowdown is at the printer accepting the data. However, most print drivers are optimized for connection via USB for initial 1st install. After the initial install, it’s pretty simple to add wireless (may require a new install) and ethernet.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.