Print Series – Dano and Jeff – Colour Spaces

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Print Series – Dano and Jeff – Colour Spaces Read 565 Times
  • Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Printing Colour Management
    on: February 21, 2022 at 6:53 pm

This is a very good introduction to colour spaces and why the choice matters – well done guys.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Jeff Schewe
    Jeff Schewe
    Gold Member
    Re: Print Series – Dano and Jeff – Colour Spaces
    Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022 at 1:13 am

Thanks Mark…I hope you also had a chuckle! I did get kinda creeped out by Kevin’s man in a fireman’s hat in the background…didn’t know it would be so prominent!

I do love the geodesic globe metaphor to explain total volume of color…that was sort of ab adlib.

kudos for Dano driving ColorThink demos…he hates to admit it but he’s learned a lot over the years…to the point that I now declare Dano a jr color geek!

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022 at 8:57 am

You two always elicit at least a chuckle! And yes, the geodesic globe is a nice touch, especially as complemented by the ColorThink demo which sealed the deal.

I think we are blessed in this era with incredibly good desktop imaging and printing technology, and helping more people understand just how good a quality work they can produce with a rather modest investment of time to understand the basics is well worthwhile.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022 at 1:01 pm

Good video! But Mark, you must know by now the topic was color spaces (colour?) and I think both presenters know about gray (grey)? <g>.

I think Dano was using ColorThink Pro which is a bit different than the lesser expensive ColorThink should anyone be interested in that product. There is also a very good article from Chromix as to how and why this product is ideal for viewing color gamuts:

http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/Color_Management_Myths_26-28#Myth_26

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022 at 2:37 pm

Hi Andrew, so to be clear I noticed the grin, but let’s explore this a bit. Firstly, don’t forget that Dano lives just across Lake ONTARIO – we’d almost be neighbours if it weren’t for the water. We in Canada spell color “colour” – the way it is spelled in English English because we are a member of the British Commonwealth and the Queen is still technically the Queen of Canada – neither of which applies in the US (you may say thank goodness). So just to be different and snobby, we will carry-on spelling colour colour, just like day and nite will always be day and night. Now as for gray/grey – my understanding is that they are interchangeable. So, according to Merriam-Webster: “Gray and grey are both common spellings of the color between black and white. Gray is more frequent in American English, whereas grey is more common in British English. … .” Note that because it is a direct quote, I had to leave colour spelled the wrong way. 🙂

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022 at 2:42 pm

Firstly, don’t forget that Dano lives just across Lake ONTARIO – we’d almost be neighbours if it weren’t for the water.

And the different countries. Again: <g>.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022 at 3:49 pm

You know Andrew, different countries doesn’t necessarily make a difference to “neighbourlyness” – we have a number of situations along the border where peoples’ houses are partly in the US and partly in Canada, so when you go to bed you can been sleeping in America but eating breakfast in Canada. I don’t know how those households are managing what could be fairly different COVID protocols – hopefully the mask police aren’t hiding under their beds! But whether they have their digital imaging stations set up in either country, they should definitely be using ProPhoto for their printing regardless And for that, God Bless America 🙂

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: February 22, 2022 at 3:52 pm

Mark, I’m kidding, I’m f*&king with you. I’ll stop, so we can get back on topic (like how well CTP maps gamuts).

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #8 on: February 22, 2022 at 3:58 pm

Of course I know you’re kidding and so am I – just having a bit of fun. The weather is real crappy up here so a few grins help move the day along……  take care.

BTW, on the topic of CTP – have you heard anything about a new version? I know they’ve been working on one periodically over a long period of time, and people including myself have put in various feature suggestions, but so far I’ve not heard how close they are, or indeed whether they still intend to move forward with it. But even as it is – definitely, one hell of a great application; immensely useful for analyzing all kinds of gamut and profile-related stuff.

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #9 on: February 22, 2022 at 4:00 pm

3.0.8 is the last version I have or CTP. Every now and then, there’s an update after launch with some bug fixes.

I don’t think Steve is focusing on it that much, his plate with Maxwell and such is pretty full.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #10 on: February 22, 2022 at 4:03 pm

Yup, thanks, I think you may well be correct about that. And 3.0.8 is what I’m using too.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.