George DeWolfe & Perceptool

Viewing 5 posts - 25 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Topic: George DeWolfe & Perceptool Read 8238 Times
  • Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    George DeWolfe & Perceptool
    on: November 18, 2021 at 11:12 pm

Seems going back many years ago, I was fine with how the product was provided to demo and found (at the time as I do today), the description nonsensical:

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=58128.msg470077#msg470077

Luminosity is almost never the word you want unless your are trying  to describe the total radiant energy (watts/sec) of a source and is expressed in cd/m^2 (candela per meter squared) . And again, unlike Brightness, it has nothing to do with what a human observer perceives. Brightness is a perceptual phenomena. Brightness is the perception of Luminance. This is why I’m opposed to gobbledygook and marketing speak and as the Chinese proverb says: “The first step towards genius is calling things by their proper name.”

Again, my Wiki and Mark’s jive to the degree that no, what was described by the plugin author is gobbledygook. The tool might indeed be amazing, how it was described was not based on the science.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

George Stark
    George Stark
    Participant
    Re: George DeWolfe & Perceptool
    Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021 at 12:08 am

Gentleman

Again thanks…. I’m with you….

But I feel just a little guilty…

I don’t want to demean  the whole of Mr Dewolfe”s book….based on a few short quotes I choose  from one chapter on a large topic….  (By the way I had to type those … not copy and paste…lol)

I was only trying to get across my area of interest in the “Perceptool” .

You have to decide for yourselves but I think overall the book provides a lot of knowledgeable information towards the end goal of  printing Black & White.

Cheers,

George

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021 at 8:38 am

George, you started this thread making an inquiry, and out of that inquiry, perhaps partly due to my initial response, a discussion emerged about approaches to making B&W conversions. As I mentioned later in the thread, we are fortunate to have the range of choices available to us for doing broadly the same things and we are all free to use whatever we like best for whatever reasons; and, we are free to discuss those approaches and reasons in a forum like this, for the general benefit of all comers. There is no reason for anyone including yourself to feel the least bit guilty about any of it. And every author, including Mr deWolfe, needs to be thick-skinned enough to take all this in stride; if they aren’t, they are in the wrong business. Rest assured.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021 at 10:39 am

+1: don’t feel guilty. His plugin may be wonderful as may the rest of his book. The text you copied and pasted is basically non-sense. If what you provided is a basis for going deeper into a better understanding of conversions of color to B&W, I would strongly suggest not dipping your toe into a rabbit hole of possible additional technical misinformation.

Peer Review is a bitch. But necessary.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

George Stark
    George Stark
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021 at 11:44 am

Bottom line… I’ve learned from both the book and this forum discussion among you experts towards my goal of improving my Black and White workflow and final digital prints..

Its all good!!..

George

Viewing 5 posts - 25 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.