Fujifilm GFX 100

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 37 through 48 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Fujifilm GFX 100 Read 54882 Times
  • Antonio Penate
    Antonio Penate
    Participant
    Fujifilm GFX 100
    on: July 23, 2019 at 10:15 am

Congratulations, Rand!  Enjoy it!

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: Fujifilm GFX 100
    Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019 at 12:24 pm

Rand, have fun with the new camera.  The out of the box experience is always so much fun.  Tell us more when you can.

Kevin Raber
    CEO & Publisher of PhotoPXL.com and Rockhopperworkshops.com

Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019 at 1:55 am

GFX 100 in hand.  Firmware 1.01 update made immediately with no issues.   All my GF lens’ firmware updated for compatibility with PDAF, no issues.  Basic configuration completed.  Very similar to other Fuji cameras, and “most like” my X-H1 (IMO Fuji’s most under appreciated camera body).

Some decisions to be made re Fn buttons, touch screen Fn gestures, and MY MENU items and order – since it lacks D-Pad buttons and hard-dials of other Fuji cameras.

When I was at the “hands on” I wasn’t able to just relax and get a sense of the ergos, but with only an hour or so of use, configuration, and some minor testing, I’m impressed with how most of the controls fall to hand.  So far, this thing reminds me most of my former Sony a900 w/ the grip attached – except memory tells me it is lighter! LOL   It’s a nice looking machine.  I have large hands and find it very comfortable to hold.  Also, the lug-eyes seemed a tad larger than typical ones, and I was able to quite easily attach a Peak Design lug anchor directly to the camera w/ no split ring at all.  Nice.  I’ll keep a very close eye out for wear, but the fit looks fine w/ no obvious “binds” anywhere.

Testing to come in the next few days.  I’ll post some samples as I go along.

Thanks to all for comments / insights / encouragement.

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019 at 8:36 am

Excited for you Rand.  Looking forward to hearing more about what you think of files and the feel of use.  Have fun.

Kevin Raber

Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019 at 10:17 pm

GFX 100 in Palm Springs today.  Crunching these attachment down to 3 megs is criminal!  LOL

Edited to taste in Lightroom only.  Adobe hasn’t updated LR ACR yet for GFX 100 files, so kinda “Meh” IMO.   Even with that the tonal transition in the files is beautiful, subtle and just absolutely wonderful.  Better than any files I’ve ever seen out of any camera I’ve ever had the privilege to own.  I can’t wait to make some prints tomorrow.  I’m pretty jazzed so far.

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: August 1, 2019 at 10:48 am

Is it just me, or does it seem as though Adobe is excessively slow in officially supporting the GFX 100?

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: August 1, 2019 at 11:24 am

Adobe will get there.  They may not have had access to a camera to shoot the needed RAW files that are used to enable a camera into their software.  They will get it done.

Kevin Raber

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019 at 5:52 pm

Jim Kasson often writes at a level that is beyond me, but I enjoy reading his work anyway. He’s got a series of articles on the GFX 100, here: https://blog.kasson.com/category/gfx-100/

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019 at 2:46 pm

Jim Kasson often writes at a level that is beyond me, but I enjoy reading his work anyway. He’s got a series of articles on the GFX 100, here: https://blog.kasson.com/category/gfx-100/

Mike.

Mike,  Ditto re Jim’s technical expertise and mode of expression.  He’s very objective, and though I don’t understand all the “details” of is research and stated conclusions, I usually come away with “something valuable” from his articles.

Kevin . . . you should give Jim a shout and a personal invitation to contribute here on PhotoPXL!

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Paul Sokal
    Paul Sokal
    Participant
    Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019 at 5:08 pm

Got mine the day it came out. Had been previously shooting with the 50S so already had the lenses I wanted and it was easy to upgrade their FW to allow for PDAF in anticipation. Also built a new computer to handle the monster files with 32 GB of RAM and an i9900k chip using a 1 TB M2 drive for system drive. Processing in C1-12 (I will never go back to an Adobe product) and the file size is not an issue at all.

Two days after receiving the camera I left for Santa Fe for a workshop with the amazing human and photographer Keith Carter. Got there early so drove from the airport to Tent Rocks National Monument. Having no time to read the manual, adjust to the new control layout, or the low oxygen environment (coming from sea level) I made my way to the top and manged to get a few passable images. Fortunately the ride down in the air-ambulance helicopter was much easier than going up.

When the workshop finally started in earnest and I was able to see the images this camera produced I was blown away. (Failed to upgrade my card reader and downloading a couple hundred images on USB 2 took about 45 minutes. Upgraded to a USB 3.1 Prograde card reader when I got home and the time was reduced to seconds.) The tonal gradation, the skin tones were like no camera I had ever used. The resolution is ridiculous, which could be an issue for portrait shooters. Every nose hair was obvious. A few years ago I decided my thing is making large, immersive prints so I am a total pixel junkie and I feel this will be my dream camera.

While it’s really useless trying to convince anyone of the beautiful images this camera can produce by posting online, I’ll do it anyway. Guess it’s my ego wanting to share.

Paul_Sokal_88-1

Paul_Sokal_94

Paul_Sokal_95

Paul_Sokal_97

Paul Sokal
    Paul Sokal
    Participant
    Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019 at 5:11 pm

A few more

Paul_Sokal_92

Paul_Sokal_89

Paul_Sokal_93

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Paul Sokal.
    Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019 at 8:00 pm

Rand, I have made a not and will contact Jim.

Kevin Raber

Viewing 12 posts - 37 through 48 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.