ET-8550 and borderless printing, what happens to the overspray ink?

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Topic: ET-8550 and borderless printing, what happens to the overspray ink? Read 1407 Times
  • L Berle
    L Berle
    Participant
    Epson Printers
    on: April 19, 2022 at 9:40 am

Firstly, I would never consider printing ‘prints’ as borderless……….as whether on a easel display or mounted & framed I need a border 😉

However, I am looking at printing some greetings cards and and they (mostly/always?) look nice with a bleed edge i.e. borderless face image.

So, my question is….

The ET-8550 has its waste ink maintenance tank but what I am unclear on, when printing borderless does the overspray get removed to the tank and if not where does it go?  NB the bane of consumer grade inkjet printers is that the overspray waste ink goes on/into an absorbent pad(sponge) and once ‘full’ the printer for all cost/benefit purposes is effectively dead.  I would like to hope that the likes of the ET-8550 and other higher end/cost Epson printers handle the borderless overspray waste ink more appropriately 🙂

Is there a definitive answer on this question?

PS When I had some cards commercially printed the templating for that instructed to allow for 3mm bleed edge in the file dimensions.  However, if I am doing the printing and to account for minor variance in card size I surmise I do need to create the file dimensions a few pixels bigger to make sure I see the borderless finish but even that would create some overspray………..or am I overthinking it and the file size can be, to minimise the overspray, exactly as per card size???

• This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by L Berle.
    Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: ET-8550 and borderless printing, what happens to the overspray ink?
    Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022 at 1:17 pm

I checked with my sources at Epson and they couldn’t answer the question as far the 8550 printer as it is a consumer product.  However, on pro printers the Maintenance Tank/box catches the ink when doing borderless printing.  I would presume the 8550 printer does the same.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

L Berle
    L Berle
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022 at 7:03 pm

Hi Kevin

Thanks for looking into the question, though a pity that Epson cannot seem to provide a definitive answer.  I will have to open a ‘chat’ tomorrow with Epson UK/EU support and see if they can throw any light on the matter.

Having said that I may have to do some test prints e.g. exact size pixel dimension as paper to see if the printer leaves a white edge visible or not……if it ‘looks’ like a bleed edge finish then encouraging for there to be none to miniscule overspray?

L Berle
    L Berle
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022 at 12:03 pm

Hi Kevin

I have had an online chat with UK tech support and they have advised that the ET-8550 has ink pad(s) for the likes of overspray.

They have given me the reassurance that ‘service replacements’ free of charge are covered by the Warranty…..in the UK/EU that had a promotion to extend that to 3 years so covered on that front as potentially needed.

But as I mention above I will see what I can do about minimising such ink pad filling 🙂

PS have you done many prints where borderless was the aim?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by L Berle.
    Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: April 20, 2022 at 12:42 pm

I made a few borderless prints to test it out, but my prints usually have margins so I can sign them.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.