Epson P900 mystery sound

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Epson P900 mystery sound Read 507 Times
  • Mark Feinstein
    Mark Feinstein
    Participant
    Epson Printers
    on: November 7, 2022 at 3:27 am

I’ve been printing with a P900 for several months now with beautiful results and no issues. Among its other virtues, the printer has been very quiet – I’ve normally heard just a whirring whine as the printhead moves, but that’s it. Tonight, however, I detect a new sound, a soft “graunch” (for want of a better description) each time the printhead moves to its right-side end position. I had just done a printhead alignment, and all the subsequent prints I’ve made seem perfect. Interestingly, perhaps, when I did test prints on light paper (Epson Ultra Premium Luster), the noise disappeared.  But it continues to occur with all my other heavier papers, 300+ gsm.  All were fed through the rear feed.  Nothing otherwise seems awry in the printing process. It’s conceivable that this is a sound that was always there, and I somehow filtered it out of my consciousness – but I don’t think so. Does anyone have a clue as to what might be going on (or whether it’s worth worrying about)?

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: Epson P900 mystery sound
    Reply #1 on: November 7, 2022 at 10:01 am

You may want to manually set the platten gap a bit larger in the setting on the printer.  My P900 is still not set up at the new studio, otherwise, I would try to walk you through it.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Mark Feinstein
    Mark Feinstein
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: November 7, 2022 at 4:48 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, Kevin! I called Epson Tech Support today – they suggested going into the Printer Settings menu and turning “Thick Paper” on. That seems to have done the trick. The noise disappeared even without re-adjusting the platen gap in individual ICCs. Why the problem didn’t occur until yesterday might be – I’d hypothesize – changes in temperature and/or humidity?

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: November 7, 2022 at 6:53 pm

Good to know that solved it.  Hope you are enjoying the prints you are making.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.