Epson P900 and Mac OS 14.3.1

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Epson P900 and Mac OS 14.3.1 Read 1010 Times
  • Hugh Sakols
    Hugh Sakols
    Silver Member
    Epson Printers
    on: February 19, 2024 at 11:54 am

I recently got a new MacBook Pro M3 with OS 14.3.1, but now I’m having trouble accessing the settings dialog on my Epson P900.  For example, I cannot access Advanced B&W mode.  Has anyone had this same issue, and if so, are there any fixes?  I never would have upgraded to the latest OS, but I did so because it is a new computer.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Epson P900 and Mac OS 14.3.1
    Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024 at 12:14 pm

I have no idea Hugh because I have neither Sonoma nor a P900, but sometimes silly little things escape us – like did you check the Epson website to make sure you have the latest version of the Epson driver and firmware installed?

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: February 19, 2024 at 12:15 pm

No second message – just needed to turn on notification.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024 at 1:03 pm

Oh – and one more little nag: Are you sure you did not install the Airprint driver? If you made that mistake, trash the whole Epson folder on your hard drive, or use their UnInstaller Tool and start all over again making sure to install the Series driver.

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: February 19, 2024 at 1:27 pm

Not a problem IF everything is set correctly. Make sure Printer Manages Color, Epson Color Controls are selected etc. Running OS 14.3.1.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Hugh Sakols
    Hugh Sakols
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: February 19, 2024 at 5:29 pm

Thanks for the help. I fixed the problem, and yes, I accidentally installed the AirPrint driver.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: February 19, 2024 at 7:37 pm

That damn AirPrint driver is a tricky one.  It gets a lot of people.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #7 on: February 19, 2024 at 9:50 pm

Yes, that’s why I asked.

According to Epson: “AirPrint™ makes it easy to print emails, photos, web pages and documents from iPads and iPhones. There’s no software to download, drivers to install or cables to connect. Your Apple device will automatically connect to AirPrint–enabled Epson printers.”

Fine.

Now all they need to do is improve the driver install procedure so that the choice between AirPrint and Series hits one in the face, including a brief explanation that AirPrint is NOT a full-featured driver, so users would be less prone to selecting the wrong option.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #8 on: February 20, 2024 at 7:38 am

I have said that many times. I even mentioned that on the Quickstart sheet that comes in those printers, there should be a warning about not installing air print. But for some reason, Epson keeps doing that. In my video that I showed the unboxing and installation of the P 900 I made a big point not to add air print. This is usually the first place we have to look when people are having problems. Quick solution if that’s it. And a big nuisance too.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #9 on: February 20, 2024 at 8:55 am

Epson is very well aware of this problem, but I’ve heard they do not have complete control over what needs to be done about it. I don’t understand either the logic or the details of what their constraints may be, but at the least I would encourage the company, as you have, to be much more “in your face” with unmissable advice to not install it; however, let’s face it, even if they do that many people don’t read instructions in much detail, so it could be helpful to some but not others.

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #10 on: February 20, 2024 at 1:36 pm

Its kind of simple: examine what Apple asks you to install on macOS. Always install Epson print drivers (certainly for the Pro line) only from Epson.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Roger Goun
    Roger Goun
    Silver Member
    Reply #11 on: February 20, 2024 at 1:45 pm

I’m on my third 17″ Epson printer and I still make this mistake. I just double-checked how I had set up my P800 with my newish M3 MBP and yes, it was set up as an AirPrint printer. Grrr.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.