Down sizing in LR print module?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Down sizing in LR print module? Read 1120 Times
  • Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Epson Printers
    on: December 12, 2019 at 2:13 pm

This question is principally for Jeff,  though happy and grateful to receive input from others.

I “get” 360/720 ppi for printing out of LR’s print module.  Lately I’ve been printing from some files from Phase cameras for folk, and at some smaller image sizes the native ppi at the print size exceeds 720 ppi.  Say, 780 ppi or so.  Is LR’s print module capable of doing a good job “going the other way” in down sampling?  Or, should I be getting these files down to 720 in Photoshop via bicubic sharper routine?

Thanks in advance for your expert(s) advice / information.

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Down sizing in LR print module?
    Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019 at 2:16 pm

Hi Rand, I think LR should be able to handle this very well.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019 at 2:23 pm

Have you read this Rand?

The Right Print Resolution

And the summery:

The bottom line is, if the image you’re printing to a high-end inkjet printer has a native resolution at the print size of less than the printer resolution, upsample to the printer’s dpi. In the case of Epson, that’s 360 dpi, and it’s 300 dpi with Canon and other printers with similar print heads. If the native resolution is above the resolution, upsample the image to the higher reported resolution of the printers (720 ppi for Epson and 600 ppi for Canon). In the case of the Epson line, also check the option for Finest Detail.

And I’d suggest using LR who’s adaptive Bicubic interpolation is fast and effective.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Jeff Schewe
    Jeff Schewe
    Gold Member
    Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019 at 6:37 pm

Yes, downsample using Lr and then apply output sharpening…Lr will use a hybrid bicubic downsampling interpolated between normal, sharper (down) or smooth (up).

The upsampling is prolly good for up to about 150%, if you need more 200% and above, I would jump out of Lr and use Topaz Gigapixel AI for upsampling…depending on the quality of the original (MP size, sharpness, & noise) 400% is doable very well!

but fer sure, downsaple in an app not the print pipeline!

Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019 at 11:51 pm

Andrew, Jeff, Mark . . .

Thanks much, all.   I’ve been using Jeff’’s information on 360/720 on my Epsons for quite a while now with great success.  But this was the first time I’ve encountered, and had to think about what happens if I have the wonderful problem of having more than 720 dpi at image size!  Glad to know that LR’s sampling ability goes in both the up and down direction.  I continue to be impressed at just how good LR’s print module is.

You three guys, in particular have been a real blessing in my learning color management and developing pretty good printing skills.  Thanks again.

Jeff, your black gum-balls machine, signed print (DV a few years ago) hangs proudly on the wall in my print studio.

Thanks again . . .

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Jeff Schewe
    Jeff Schewe
    Gold Member
    Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019 at 5:29 pm

Rand, glad you like that print :~)

Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019 at 10:41 pm

Rand, glad you like that print :~)

Jeff,   Yup, it’s on my wall just to the left of my main printer to remind me what a good print looks like!

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.