Displaying Prints

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 37 through 48 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Displaying Prints Read 25946 Times
  • Erik Brammer
    Erik Brammer
    Participant
    Displaying Prints
    on: April 22, 2022 at 7:35 am

Talking about framing matt paper without glass:

This is Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique II Matt in size A2 matted and framed in Halbe Rahmen Oak Frames. It looks fantastic even though the lighting conditions in that staircase are not optimal. In reality the prints appear somewhat brighter, and the subjects lend themselves to a rather dark atmosphere.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: Displaying Prints
    Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022 at 9:18 am

Erik, they look really nice.

Kevin Raber
    CEO & Publisher of PhotoPXL.com and Rockhopperworkshops.com

Elliot Puritz
    Elliot Puritz
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022 at 10:19 am

Nicely done Erik.  Thanks for sharing.

Did you use any protective print sprays?

Erik Brammer
    Erik Brammer
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022 at 10:45 am

Hi Elliot,

I applied Hahnemühle Protective Spray to avoid damage to the very delicate surface of that paper while handling and framing. And should someone accidentally rub against the prints while walking up the stairs, there’s a better chance they will survive without visible scuffing. For the latter I don’t have high hopes, though. So far everyone behaved while climbing those stairs.

Best regards,

Erik

Elliot Puritz
    Elliot Puritz
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022 at 12:06 pm

I am also framing without glazing and worry about damage to prints made on various papers-most often washi or mat papers.

The value of Protective Sprays has become somewhat confusing to me Eric.  Are the sprays meant to protect against physical trauma or against fading caused by environmental agents such as sun light and pollutants-or both?

I have tried to find rigorous objective studies that confirm the value of various brands of protective print sprays but have been unable to find any such studies.  Yet the value of such sprays continue to be referenced and praised.  Do you-or anyone reading my comments- happen to know of any studies that verify the “value” of protective sprays.  I believe I asked on another forum but received no such references.

Erik Brammer
    Erik Brammer
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: April 23, 2022 at 2:26 am

Hahnemühle Protective Spray’s protective properties are indeed questionable. Certainly it does perform like a protective varnish as applied in the printing industry. Hahnemühle Protective Spray will not prevent damage when sharp objects, even a fingernail, will scratch along the surface, even relatively lightly. I do however believe that it will protect the print from fingerprints or in case the print bangs against a hard but not sharp object during handling. I also believe that it won’t hurt if you frame without glass and want to use a soft brush occasionally to remove dust from the print or the mat.

Elliot Puritz
    Elliot Puritz
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: April 24, 2022 at 8:06 am

Thanks Erik.  Have you information concerning the “protective” effect in preventing fading of colors or mitigating the effects of pollution?  One would of course like to believe that applying a protective spray has wide-spread benefits.  Nevertheless, where is the evidence?  BTW one also wonders about the polluting and deleterious effects of the volatile chemicals in the spray.

Elliot

Erik Brammer
    Erik Brammer
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: April 24, 2022 at 11:10 am

I have no evidence available to me, but I will email my technical support contact at Hahnemühle and ask him whether they have any measurement data or the like they can share.

Erik Brammer
    Erik Brammer
    Participant
    Reply #8 on: April 24, 2022 at 12:57 pm

I just emailed him. I will let everyone what he replies.

Elliot Puritz
    Elliot Puritz
    Silver Member
    Reply #9 on: April 24, 2022 at 1:25 pm

Thanks Erik.  Sometime back I called Legion Paper and asked about the Moab product….no information available that confirmed any of the claimed advantages concerning protection against pollutants, etc.

Erik Brammer
    Erik Brammer
    Participant
    Reply #10 on: April 26, 2022 at 3:24 am

Just talked to my contact at Hahnemühle. The initial idea for the Protective Spray was to help with bronzing. They also added a UV blocker. And of course it protects the print against dust, or rather it allows you to gently brush off dust from unprotected prints without damaging the paper surface and (on matt papers) the surface-bound ink pigments. Personally, I would be mostly interested in an increase in scuff resistance, should that be provided by the Protective Spray.

Quantitative research was not conducted. I know this is not the answer we were looking for, but at least it’s an honest answer. Maybe I will think of a simple test for increased scuff resistance: Some object placed on the print with a defined, not too heavy weight on it, pull it over the print and see what happens with and without Protective Spray.

Elliot Puritz
    Elliot Puritz
    Silver Member
    Reply #11 on: April 26, 2022 at 8:49 am

Really well- done Erik….take a look at some of the information available via the links below.

Print-Permanence-Chart-v2-9-19.pdf (digitalsilverimaging.com)

How Long Will Your Digital Prints Last?You May Be Surprised Page 2 | Shutterbug

Permanence and durability of digital prints on paper | Request PDF (researchgate.net)

From the last reference: “Colour pints with a surface protection of polymer varnish or foil protection are very unstable, causing deterioration of colour, contrasts, and colour balance”.

Evidently many academic institutions have been asking the same questions as we have.

BTW, the chart from Digital Silver Imaging is quite useful and has references.  If I have an opportunity I will call The Getty Museum in LA and see if the experts there can help.

I wish we had ready access to a “Paper Chemist” who could provide information about the trace impurities in the paper and in the coatings and the effect of both on permanence. The more one seeks answers the more one finds additional questions….No doubt the realists on this site are asking, “Why Bother” !!

EP

Viewing 12 posts - 37 through 48 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.