Displaying Prints

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 25 through 36 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Displaying Prints Read 30079 Times
  • Garry Teeple
    Garry Teeple
    Participant
    Displaying Prints
    on: January 24, 2022 at 5:03 pm

Christopher, that is the general idea.  I insert the splines in as in the first picture after the video but use two splines.  I have a jig as in the second picture and set up as to be able to just flip the frame from side to side giving me two splines.

Kind of like this:  IMG_2780s

Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Re: Displaying Prints
    Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022 at 6:41 pm

Great advice! Thanks so much.

George Stark
    George Stark
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022 at 8:29 pm

While we’re on the topic of displaying prints….

I just had five 17×22 prints matted …. and had aluminum frames cut to size along with glass  by a frame shop that I then assembled.

My dilemma is the glass…..

I checked out the museum quality glass at the framers shop and it was out standing… you could hardly tell there was glass at all… but in my case that would have  been $80.00 per frame for just the glass. To save a buck I went for $30.00 per frame glass called conservation clear… it was UV etc… BUT IT  WAS NOT NON-REFLECTIVE….Ha…My home has lots of windows… and after hanging the prints I can barely see them during the day due to reflections…They look pretty good at night though…lol…. Seems you get what you pay for…

I have to do something but I thought I’d quiz the experts here about various options…. Is there alternatives to Museum Glass that are good but cheaper… Do any of you folks use Plexiglas ? I’m also considering just removing the glass period…

I’m curious as to various  methods most photographers use to hang and protect the print in the frame?…

Thanks and Cheers

George

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022 at 10:57 pm

George as you will hear in one of the upcoming videos, Dano just did a big print job for the executive offices for Epson and he made all his big prints in frames without glass and used Epson Legacy Fiber paper.  So, I tried it on two prints in my house, and oh boy they look so great.  The paper is matte has good d-max and looks terrific.  You get that kind of organic feel without the glass.  Try that paper and no glass and see what you think.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Elliot Puritz
    Elliot Puritz
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022 at 11:00 pm

Hi George:  I share your thoughts about glazing.  Indeed, many times I eschew any variety of plexi and glass.  I often print on washi and prints on such papers are better appreciated with no glazing of any kind between the print surface and the viewer.

As to prints on more prosaic papers:  Rarely now use glazing, but will often use a print spray of some kind.  Despite reading many positive opinions I remain skeptical that print sprays are both effective and in the long term completely safe for the paper surfaces upon which they are deposited.  It is relevant to add that in correspondence with the people at Awagami  print sprays are not recommended on their washi: I follow their advice.

Mark Segal is obviously both very talented and very busy.  Nevertheless, it would be interesting if Mark might conceive of an objective test as to the effect of print sprays on both mat and luster papers.  I’ll have to see if the AArdenburg group has completed such tests.

George Stark
    George Stark
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022 at 12:17 am

Thanks Kevin

You have strengthened my thought of just pulling out the glass…

My prints are on Canson Platine Fibre Rag and though you are referencing different paper…. I can’t see a real down side in my case. Unless UV causes real issues quickly.

I can always reprint if needed

Elliot thanks for your input.

I know may photographers do spray prints with protective coatings but I have never been successful with any kind of spray can in my hands…I alway end up with a splotch here or there….

George

Garry Teeple
    Garry Teeple
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022 at 12:25 am

I would love get by without glass but I live on a farm and the dust in the house is terrible, I really think my only option is glass or Plexiglas.   Anything over 11″ x 14″ I use Plexiglas.  I had a grandson knock an 11″ x 14″ off the wall, it broke the frame in one corner and cracked the glass, he was very lucky.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Garry Teeple.
    George Stark
    George Stark
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022 at 4:53 pm

Kevin…..

I ended up pulling the glass and they look great… and positive reactions from outsiders as well..plus I was lucky to have a frame shop who actually refunded me for return of the glass!..

Now to find if the paper will hold up over time?..

Thanks for you input…

George

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #8 on: February 1, 2022 at 12:36 pm

George, I’m told they should hold up just fine.  I have a number of images printed and displayed without glass so I’ll be watching too.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

John Donlan
    John Donlan
    Participant
    Reply #9 on: February 1, 2022 at 3:21 pm

George, Which paper???

OPPS! didnt see, Need mode coffee;>)

Greyscale

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #10 on: February 3, 2022 at 2:27 pm

George as you will hear in one of the upcoming videos, Dano just did a big print job for the executive offices for Epson and he made all his big prints in frames without glass and used Epson Legacy Fiber paper.  So, I tried it on two prints in my house, and oh boy they look so great.  The paper is matte has good d-max and looks terrific.  You get that kind of organic feel without the glass.  Try that paper and no glass and see what you think.

I’ve done a few prints on Hahnemühle Torchon, a textured matt paper, which I’ve mounted on aluminium (yes, with a second “i”) sheets: no glass, no frame. I’m very pleased with the appearance. FWIW.

Jeremy

Erik Brammer
    Erik Brammer
    Participant
    Reply #11 on: April 17, 2022 at 4:50 pm

Yep, matt paper applied to Alu-Dibond using an archival double-sided mounting foil is what I do occasionally (besides framing with or without glass – matt paper preferably without glass).
    The resulting sandwich construction then has sheet metal hangers applied at the top of the backside and matching spacers on the bottom.
    That sandwich of course cannot be taken apart, so each print becomes a sandwich which comes at a cost which can be substantial for larger formats like A3 or A2.

But it is a very nice looking presentation.

Viewing 12 posts - 25 through 36 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.