Custom Paper Presets for 9570/7570/900/700 Printers: A Mess

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Custom Paper Presets for 9570/7570/900/700 Printers: A Mess Read 6995 Times
  • Howard Cubell
    Howard Cubell
    Participant
    Epson Printers
    on: February 17, 2022 at 5:07 pm

The new Epson Surecolor printers have adopted a new way of applying the desired settings for color management in the PS print dialogue box. I thought I had sorted out the way that you create Custom Paper Presets with the Epson Media Installer and then have those “Presets” available in both the Printer Driver in Photoshop and in the Printer itself. Three issues have come up:

1. I created in the EMI a Custom Preset for Canson Infinity Prestige 340, starting with the Epson Baryta template. However, when I look for a Preset at the top of the Printer Settings section in the PS Printer Driver, it does not show up! What is the purpose of the “Preset” that you create in the EMI? Do I still have to create a new Preset in the Printer Settings section in the PS Printer Driver?

2. Canson recommends that you decrease the Color Density setting with the Prestige 340 paper by -15. I tried to edit the Preset in the EMI that I created for the Prestige 340 paper, but there is no section in the editable section for Color Density. Moreover, on the Printer LCD screen, if I select the Custom Paper Preset for the Canson Prestige 340 paper and try to edit it, I get the following message:  “Paper setting in the printer driver is different from paper information registered in the printer. Change paper setting from the application or the driver. For details, see your documentation.” What is this all about? And btw, there is NO documentation.

3. So, I thought I would try to use the Epson Print Layout software to see if somehow that clarified things, as this is the newish software that Epson is hyping as simplifying the printing process compared to the PS Driver.  Nope.

4. I still do not understand if I can ignore everything in the Printer Settings on the Printer and just work with the Epson Driver in PS the old way, as I did for 20+ years going back to the Epson 10000. Use  the print driver in PS and ignore the paper listed on the LCD on the printer.  Now, who is in charge here??? The print driver in PS or the Paper Presets in the Printer itself? The Manuals for these printers have zero information about the EMI and how the PS print driver works with the new printers. This is all such a classic example of how things are often changed in the interests of simplicity, only to create a  bigger mess than ever existed. Perhaps this was part of a secret plot to force people to use only Epson papers.

Thanks for any insights here.

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Re: Custom Paper Presets for 9570/7570/900/700 Printers: A Mess
    Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022 at 5:10 pm

The new Epson Surecolor printers have adopted a new way of applying the desired settings for color management in the PS print dialogue box? Can you post a screen capture of what you’re referring to? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022 at 5:22 pm

For starters, no, EMI is not a conspiracy to force you to use Epson papers. In fact quite the reverse. It is intended to allow EASIER usage of 3rd party papers. You may find the EMI discussion/instructions in Section 3 of the software portion of my review of the P900 (https://photopxl.com/the-new-epson-sc-p900-printer-review/) (3) Epson Media Installer (EMI). You will see there that EMI doesn’t accommodate changes to the Color Density as part of the new default settings for the paper one uses. At least that was the case at the time I reviewed this printer and software at the time of their release.

Howard Cubell
    Howard Cubell
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022 at 7:27 pm

Hi, Andrew. This is the message that appears on the LCD Screen when I try to change the settings on the printer itself.

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022 at 7:45 pm

That’s a shot of the printer itself and nothing new. I’m asking about the PS print dialogue box (you mentioned). 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Howard Cubell
    Howard Cubell
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: February 17, 2022 at 7:56 pm

For starters, no, EMI is not a conspiracy to force you to use Epson papers. In fact quite the reverse. It is intended to allow EASIER usage of 3rd party papers. You may find the EMI discussion/instructions in Section 3 of the software portion of my review of the P900 (https://photopxl.com/the-new-epson-sc-p900-printer-review/) (3) Epson Media Installer (EMI). You will see there that EMI doesn’t accommodate changes to the Color Density as part of the new default settings for the paper one uses. At least that was the case at the time I reviewed this printer and software at the time of their release.

Thanks, Mark.  I will read your review. I was being facetious about the conspiracy theory. However, I am at a loss to understand the mysteries of the EMI and how it interacts with the PS printer driver and the settings on the printer itself. And, why there is zero documentation. I just uploaded the error message on the LCD screen when I try to change a setting for a paper preset on the printer LCD. Canson recommends that you set Color Density for a number of its papers at -15. The only way I see you can do that is by going to the Printer Settings area of the PS printer driver. So, now I still need to crea Preset in the PS printer  driver itself. What exactly then did the EMI accomplish in terms of simplifying the workflow. Now, I need two presets. Moreover, if the Color Density setting in the driver is not reflected in the printer itself, will the printer still apply it?

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: February 17, 2022 at 8:34 pm

Hi Howard, OK, good questions. But I suggest you read what I wrote in the review first about two things: (1) the EMI itself, and (2) the manner in which one coheres what’s on the printer LCD with the settings in the Epson driver reached through Photoshop or Lightroom. That latter material is earlier on in the review, and it is explained in the User Manual. As Andrew said above, this part is not so new. That said, there are differences with the P900 and its relatives compared with previous Epson printers, but it’s probably not necessary to get into that here – the main thing is, as the error notice said, to make sure the settings are cohered between the LCD which controls the printer settings, and the driver which is accessed from the computer.

On your question about what to do with the density settings, within the Epson driver in the Advanced Media Settings there is a slider for controlling color density (see my attached illustration). Once you configure the Epson driver with ALL the settings in ALL the menus that need to make the print for the media you are using, and you’ve made sure the paper settings are the same as the specification for the paper registered in the EMI, you can save that as a custom driver preset. When you go to print, you’ll select the paper preset you configured in EMI from the list that comes up in the printer LCD, AND you select the Epson driver preset you created. That should do the trick  – I think.

Howard Cubell
    Howard Cubell
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: February 17, 2022 at 10:30 pm

That’s a shot of the printer itself and nothing new. I’m asking about the PS print dialogue box (you mentioned). 

OK, here are some screen grabs from the Printer Driver in PS:

Screen-Shot-2022-02-17-at-9.27.30-PM

Howard Cubell
    Howard Cubell
    Participant
    Reply #8 on: February 17, 2022 at 10:32 pm

Another:

Screen-Shot-2022-02-17-at-9.28.08-PM

Howard Cubell
    Howard Cubell
    Participant
    Reply #9 on: February 17, 2022 at 10:33 pm

Another:

Screen-Shot-2022-02-17-at-9.28.26-PM

Howard Cubell
    Howard Cubell
    Participant
    Reply #10 on: February 17, 2022 at 10:34 pm

Deleted.

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #11 on: February 17, 2022 at 10:38 pm

There is nothing new in that PS Print Dialog (your first screen capture).

The other dialogs have nothing to do with color management.

Sorry, I can’t understand what you’re asking about or the problem.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.