Colorbyte ImagePrint Black

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Colorbyte ImagePrint Black Read 185 Times
  • Bud James
    Bud James
    Participant
    Printing Colour Management
    on: December 31, 2021 at 6:11 am

I have an Epson P900 17″ printer. I print directly from Capture One Pro, now at version 22. The results are excellent, however C1P’s printing interface is clunky and does not make it easy to save settings for print size and paper combinations.

I used to use Colorbyte ImagePrint 15 years ago when I was using a PC. Shortly afterwards, I switched to Macs and haven’t looked back.

Is anyone using the current version of Colorbyte ImagePrint Black to print to the Epson P900? Please share your experiences.

Regards,
    Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at http://www.budjames.photography.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: Colorbyte ImagePrint Black
    Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021 at 10:52 am

Funny you bring IP up.  We just did 16 videos on printing and we will start releasing them as we get them edited after the first of the year.  We did several on Imageprint which is my go to software for printing.  It will also be part of the curriculum of our upcoming printing workshops. There are two great videos in the series focusing on all aspects of Imageprint.  Imageprint is super versatile and does a lot of things.  Its call to fame is their profiles which I think as well as others are the best out there.

You’ll see more and you will see the P900 being used a lot in these videos.  If you want a lesson, email me and come by the studio for a day of printmaking.  Visitors are always welcome.

I’ll also soon announce a three-day print with Kevin for FREE drawing.  It will be kind of a dress rehearsal for the printing workshop.  I’ll select three people to visit with me and print for 3 days at no cost.  You costs would be food, travel, and lodging.  I’ll also announce that after the first of the year.  Lots of things in the works.

Back to IP.  It will be worth the investment. ANd, works great with the P900.

Kevin Raber
    CEO & Publisher of PhotoPXL.com and Rockhopperworkshops.com

Bud James
    Bud James
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021 at 6:41 pm

Funny you bring IP up.  We just did 16 videos on printing and we will start releasing them as we get them edited after the first of the year.  We did several on Imageprint which is my go to software for printing.  It will also be part of the curriculum of our upcoming printing workshops. There are two great videos in the series focusing on all aspects of Imageprint.  Imageprint is super versatile and does a lot of things.  Its call to fame is their profiles which I think as well as others are the best out there.

You’ll see more and you will see the P900 being used a lot in these videos.  If you want a lesson, email me and come by the studio for a day of printmaking.  Visitors are always welcome.

I’ll also soon announce a three-day print with Kevin for FREE drawing.  It will be kind of a dress rehearsal for the printing workshop.  I’ll select three people to visit with me and print for 3 days at no cost.  You costs would be food, travel, and lodging.  I’ll also announce that after the first of the year.  Lots of things in the works.

Back to IP.  It will be worth the investment. ANd, works great with the P900.

Hi Kevin.

Kevin, thanks for the comments. I live in the Philly Burbs, so you are not too far away.

Looking forward to entering your drawing for the trial workshop, and, for your forthcoming videos on the ImagePrint and RIP software.

I wish you and your family all the best for a safe, healthy, happy and outrageously prosperous New Year!

Regards,
    Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at http://www.budjames.photography.

Bruce Herman
    Bruce Herman
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022 at 9:36 pm

I have been using ImagePrint Black with a P800 for a couple of years.  In my experience, the product’s profiles are definitely better than the ones that I created and at least as good if not better than, say, Epson’s profiles.  It gives you access to some profiles that are no longer available on the web, and to versions designed for several lighting sources.

Not every photograph can be printed to exhibition tolerance without making some edits in tone and/or contrast that are unique to the individual photograph.  The interface for this is very good.  You don’t have to make a special version of the file to serve as a comparison when soft-proofing. My only complaints are 1) the tone curve is backward from the one in Photoshop and Lightroom and 2) you can’t move the endpoints of the tone curve.

They have made substantial improvements to the file display portion of the software, but there are some caveats.  My originals are 2540dpi scans of 4×5 transparencies with the initial file size being 620MB or so.  Add a few pixel layers while editing in Photoshop and I’m forced to save .psb files.  ImagePrint won’t work with these, which requires that I flatten the files prior to printing.  It also struggles with files that have masks saved as channels.  Finally, it still takes a while to make the thumbnails when you have a large library of files.  The workaround for the last problem is to place a copy of the files to be printed in a separate directory so as to limit the total number of files in the directory.

These are minor problems relative to the ease of use and access to a large library of profiles supplied with ImagePrint Black.  I haven’t fully utilized all of the product’s capabilities, but would still recommend it based on those that I have.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.