Capture One’s NEW License Options (Terrible)

Tagged: ,

Viewing 12 posts - 49 through 60 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Capture One’s NEW License Options (Terrible) Read 25892 Times
  • Mike Broomfield
    Mike Broomfield
    Silver Member
    Capture One’s NEW License Options (Terrible)
    on: January 21, 2023 at 5:39 am

For those of you considering returning to a Lightroom Classic (LrC) workflow, let me mention the DXO Pure Raw 2 Plug-in for LrC.  I’m currently testing it and so far (tested with Fuji raf for X and GFX, and Nikon Z9 and Z7II) it is an amazing raw conversion tool, MUCH superior to LrC’s default demoasicaing (or anything else I’ve ever seen or used).   A lot of software add ons, plug ins I’ve tested are more “just different” than they are “actually better.”  This is the exception.

Check it out.  You won’t be sorry.  No affiliation, etc., with DXO – yadda, yadda…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5McjOJfsKSg

Rand

Rand, could you put up several files demonstrating in what ways DxO does a better job than LrC? In so doing, let us beware that final image quality goes beyond the first stage of demosaicing the raw data. This first stage is designed by the software developers according to their view of what initial rendition is likely to please users the most. The key thing is what’s required, efficient and possible for getting the photo from that start point to finish according to the user’s taste. To my mind anyhow, that’s the basis on which assessments of raw conversion software should be made.

Mark (and others as interested) . . .

Per Mark’s request, here’s a download link to a zipped folders with several GFX 100 files, exported as 16 bit, tiff, uncompressed, in ProPhoto RGB that compare default Lightroom processing as it is “on import” and that same raw file processed with DXO Pure Raw 2 via their Deep Prime method and using their lens correction and sharpening:

NOTE: This website (expletives deleted) won’t let me post the link…. I sent it to Mark privately.  Anyone else interested, PM me and I can email a link.

As you can imagine, these are large files.

Rand

Hi Rand, can you just post the link in text format with the word “dot” replacing the actual “.” in the link?

Thx

Mike

Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Silver Member
    Re: Capture One’s NEW License Options (Terrible)
    Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023 at 5:51 am

… as far as I know DXO Pure RAW2 uses the same “engine” as DXO Photolab 6.

So who has the latter can derive the results there.

I have seen that DXO Photolab 6 has a PlugIn installed in LRC, but have not yet looked at the integration in more detail.

That DXO Photolab is a very good RAW converter, however, has undoubtedly been the case for years. With version 6, a larger working color space is now also served.

Oliver

https://www.riwodot.de

https://vero.co/riwodot

https://www.instagram.com/riwodot/

Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023 at 10:06 am

Hi Rand, can you just post the link in text format with the word “dot” replacing the actual “.” in the link?

Thx

Mike

Mike,

Let’s see if this is useable:

https://we.tl/t-Zlt1gaS3XV?utm_campaign=TRN_TDL_05&utm_source=sendgrid&utm_medium=email&trk=TRN_TDL_05

I removed the active “hot link” characteristics from the above.  Hopefully you can copy and paste into a browser and it will work.

Addendum:  Well that’s weird.  After removing the “hotness” of the link and pasting it in here, once I posted it the link “became” hot and works.  Go figure?

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023 at 10:11 am

It is weird. I think Kevin’s web guy should have a look at what’s going on with this. The normal expectation of course would be that the forum accepts links and they are active or inactive if the user makes them active or inactive. Right now it seems to have a mind of its own.

John Hollenberg
    John Hollenberg
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023 at 11:39 am

Rand,

I get a 502 error when trying to download.

Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023 at 12:20 pm

Rand,

John,

Sorry about that.  I have no idea “what’s what” with all this on this web site.  Just like the constant need to log in, it frustrates the heck out of me, which is one of the reasons I’m “not on here” much anymore.

Since we’ve communicated via email before, I’ll send you the link via email.

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

John Hollenberg
    John Hollenberg
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: January 21, 2023 at 2:54 pm

Looks like the problem is with WeTransfer.  They are reporting a problem with downloads in the U.S. today.

Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023 at 2:58 pm

Rand,

Sorry, gang… I think it’s a WeTranfer problem of some sort.  Not fixable by me.

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

William Rabinovich
    William Rabinovich
    Participant
    Reply #8 on: January 21, 2023 at 8:46 pm

Similar to many here, I was an Aperture user, then I used Lightroom for a couple of years, then about five years ago I switched to Capture One. Not because of subscriptions, because it was before Adobe moved to a subscription model. I always loved Aperture’s interface and I never liked Lightroom’s. Capture One’s interface seemed much nicer to me and five years ago it was ahead of Lightroom in many ways. Capture One had real, named, layers, better color, and much better color tools. For the first couple of years C1 also added features at a pretty good pace including luma masking. I updated every year. But it was also missing a bunch of features that both Lightroom and Aperture had like stacks and a good print module, but I figured it was only a matter of time before these got addressed.

About three years ago, Capture One’s updates slowed down and Lightroom’s sped up. Also Capture one doubled the cost of their yearly updates while Lightroom’s subscription costs remained constant. I stopped updating each year because the improvements were minuscule and the cost was high. In that time LR improved their color profile system, added better color tools and then real masks with luminosity and color masking. With the addition of AI masking they have completely pulled ahead of C1. Meanwhile, stacks, printing and many other C1 deficiencies have never been fixed.

When C1 v 23 came out I was so underwhelmed that I decided not to upgrade but to get a LR subscription and see what had changed. I still don’t like the interface (why is Adobe, a company focused on graphics, unable to design a good GUI?), but I can get similar results to C1, and using AI masking do things that C1 can’t do. Then C1 announced their new pricing, which is ridiculous and insulting. So its goodbye to C1. I’m busy going through my images from the last five years and, using what I did in C1 as a guide, converting them to LR edits.

It sad because Capture One, with the proper investment and good leadership, could have been a real competitor to Lightroom

-Will

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #9 on: January 21, 2023 at 11:13 pm

Hi Rand, Send me a note on issues you say you are having with this site.  I haven’t heard of any issues for a while.  f you are needing to sign on all the time, it may be because you are using different machines.  But, let me know and I’ll check with our development team.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Reply #10 on: January 21, 2023 at 11:30 pm

Hi Rand, Send me a note on issues you say you are having with this site.  I haven’t heard of any issues for a while.  f you are needing to sign on all the time, it may be because you are using different machines.  But, let me know and I’ll check with our development team.

Yeah, it’s mostly the log-in issue.  I routinely surf on four different devices.  My main computer, an iPhone, an iPad, and a laptop – depending on where I am and what I’m doing – even within my home, and several times a day.  It tedious and it just bugs me because there is no other site I visit regularly that does this.  It’s no biggie, I guess, but I’m just getting old and have taken grumpy lessons from Jeff.  🙂

The link thing I had a problem with turns out to be WeTransfer’s issue “I think.”  Though when I posted it as a “link” and not just as text, I got a “not allowed” kind of message (don’t remember the exact wording, except it was “mean looking” and in red! LOL).

Best…

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Louis Foubare
    Louis Foubare
    Silver Member
    Reply #11 on: January 22, 2023 at 1:49 pm

It seems from the many posts the majority of C1 users now are looking at other RAW programs that perhaps before this strangely timed announcement came out, they would probably not have started in earnest.

Viewing 12 posts - 49 through 60 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.