C1 ( and macOS) crashes when using the repair brush …

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Topic: C1 ( and macOS) crashes when using the repair brush … Read 1331 Times
  • Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Silver Member
    C1 ( and macOS) crashes when using the repair brush …
    on: November 11, 2022 at 8:38 am

Hello Kevin,

a division of the catalogs by years seems to me also quite reasonable, there grow older years with me only around scanned photos and thus it remains manageable. I’m also considering getting an iPad Air next year to work with the C1 app and Sessions when I’m on the road, and then later import them back into these annual catalogs when I get home.

I’m just going to the bottom of why it came now on the new M1 Mac Mini again to problems with my large C1 catalog and have a suspicion. Apparently the Thunderbold output on the Mac Mini M1 with a passive USB C hub is a bit weak. During a ChronoSync backup last night after the Fantec 4Bay Tower has namely also on the M1 suddenly said goodbye and the drive was disconnected. A second attempt today confirmed this. I have therefore now connected the Fantec Tower to an active USB-C HUB with power supply and that runs since this morning so far inconspicuous.

The problems with the C1 catalog may have been triggered by the unstable runtime behavior on the passive HUB. I have to investigate this a little further and copy some of my old Raid towers here and then I know more :).

Regards
    Oliver

http://www.riwodot.de/vorsitzender.html

Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Silver Member
    Re: C1 ( and macOS) crashes when using the repair brush …
    Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022 at 6:30 am

Summary:

After the problem with the repair brush had started seemingly quite simple, it and the fact that my Mac Mini i7 with Monterey had reached the end of its life cycle, has resulted in a sequence of events and measures, which I would never have expected in advance. Until then, the constellation had worked almost without problems for years, except for the fact that I had the C1 catalog problem with the non-functioning import some time ago, but it could be fixed at that time with the help of Capture One’s support.

My backup strategy up to that point was built on a three-tiered approach, as follows:

1. Raid5 G-Speed Q 4Bay Tower (8TB) which was connected to USB 3.0 via eSata.

2. Raid5 G-Speed eS 4Bay Tower (8TB) connected via external Sonnet Thunderbold enclosure to a Sata PCI card.

3. Raid5 QNAP NAS (12TB) running on my network via Gigabit Ethernet.

4. the catalogs of C1 and Excire, which I had stored once locally on the disk of the Mac-Mini and in addition on a SSD Raid1 (2TB mirrored) in an external Fantec 8Bay Tower at USB 3.0.

This way I feel quite safe. That can be deceptive, but I had to find out, because now a lot of problems came together.

As I said, the trigger was the C1 crash when using the repair brush on a Mac Mini i7 with 16GB RAM (late 2014).

Since the crash problem with the repair brush could no longer be solved and an import of the C1 catalog with 137,000 photos into a new catalog failed twice with an error message and thus the rescue attempt that had helped the last time was also ruined, the new Mac Mini M1 was purchased a) to be back in support b) to have a slightly faster device and c) with the vague hope that the problems on the M1 may disappear.

For the crash with the repair brush this was even true but the import problem was more actual than ever. No more image files could be imported into this catalog, even if it had been repaired and occasionally showed errors when checked in C1. The same was true for the last two backups that C1 created.

At the same time, there were problems on the hardware front, because the external Sonnet Thunderbold Tower wouldn’t turn on anymore and was apparently defective after disconnecting it from the power supply, so I couldn’t access the data of my Raid5 G-Speed eS anymore. Carelessly, I had already deleted all my image data on the Raid5 QNAP NAS, because I needed the space for my action “paperless office”.

Because now the following happened: On the Mac Mini M1, the Raid5 G-Speed ​​Q 4Bay Tower via eSata (USB 3.0 adapted) led to the computer being booted through in one tour, and that made me slowly queasy. Thankfully, that doesn’t happen when I connect the Raid5 G-Speed ​​Q 4Bay Tower to the Mac Mini M1 via its USB 2.0 output, even though it was a very slow connection.

So it was now finally clear that a new backup strategy was needed based on the new and much fewer interfaces of the Mac Mini M1, which I have outlined as follows:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jmw8gmmsp7wq099/riwodot%20Chronosync%20Backupstrategie%20Skizze.pdf?dl=0

It was hard for me to believe that during the whole process of converting to the Mac Mini M1, my NEC Multisync PA271W monitor suddenly quit working, giving me the feeling of being a living example of Murphy’s Law. The monitor will be sent today to the NEC service to see if it can still be repaired economically, but at the same time I also bought a new device from BenQ, which still has to be connected, like my Epson SC P-700 , which has been in the box for quite a while now. Currently, however, it was more important to promote the backup of all image files.

Next, I took the 4 hard drives from the Raid5 G-Speed ​​eS 4Bay Tower (8TB) and installed them in a new Fantec 4Bay case on USB C 3.1. since the Raid5 is based on a software-based solution called SoftRaid, it was necessary to see whether the disks in the new Fantec Tower with a different interface and the new architecture of the Mac Mini M1 were recognized. And yes, that was the case, but I had to do a few pull-ups under MacOS in advance because the system’s security architecture has changed.

Last but not least, I got that up and running, but now had problems with the stability of the connection between the tower and the Mac Mini M1. This ultimately resulted from the insufficient power supply via the M1’s Thunderbolt interface and could be completely remedied with an active USB 3.2 HUB. In this way, the 4 Fantec Towers are now installed and running according to the sketch above. All image files are backed up consistently.

Since I’m already working on a complete conversion anyway, I’ve ordered an external SSD M2.NVMe housing with a WD 2TB SSD for USB C 3.1 on which I’ll put the catalogs from C1 and Excire in the hope of doing so as well to gain some speed.

According to the advice of C1 Support, I’ve been able to use my large but defective catalog over the last few days to export this year-by-year into new, smaller catalogues. The largest catalog now has around 16,000 photos.

All XMP sidecar files are currently still being synchronized, otherwise the metadata and edits of the individual photos will not be recognized in the new catalogues!

If this process is done during the day, I have to look at Excire and its catalog and see if there are any adjustments to be made here.

Finally, I will give all the USB-A/C cables, replace the high-quality USB-A/C 3.2 nylon cables and lay them neatly and install the BenQ monitor and the Epson printer and set everything accordingly.

I hope that these last steps will now work as smoothly as possible and that things will calm down again for a few years.

Some might wonder why the guy is telling all this. On the one hand it is also a good reminder for me to recapitulate everything again and on the other hand it may help someone else who has a similar constellation and wants or has to raise it to a current level.

Regards

Oliver

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022 at 9:10 am

Wow, great documentation.  It always seems to be a chain reaction of issues getting things running.  I am now getting the new studio going.  And, while much of it is going smoothly I do have a number of hiccups.  I think I have tracked mine down to USB cables and will know by tomorrow if that solves some issues and I also need to update the firmware on my Epson 9570.  Hopefully at that point we will be fully functional again.

You did a lot of detective work to get your system going.  Once it works it will be fine but the hours spent sorting through issues is a real pain.

Kevin Raber
    CEO & Publisher of PhotoPXL.com and Rockhopperworkshops.com

Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022 at 5:05 pm

Hello Kevin,

indeed an incredible chain of events. And it continues. The day before yesterday I installed the four NAS HDDs from the old G-Speed Q Raid5 tower in the fourth Fantec 4Bay tower and a look at the hard drives showed that they were from 2010.

After installing them in the Fantec tower, all the disks were recognized and configured to a Raid5 drive using SoftRaid.

Then directly started the Chronosync backup from the master tower and at about 50% of the backup one HDD fails shortly after the second HDD. Two disks still work but I now replace all four disks with 4x4TB IronWolf NAS HDDs.

Close your eyes and get through it, that’s all I can say, because I’ve never experienced anything like this in 40 years of IT.

I am still waiting for feedback from NEC Service to see if it is economically worthwhile to have the Multisync PA271W repaired.

I hope to be fully operational again in the course of the coming week, unless other unforeseen events occur.

Oliver

Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022 at 7:45 am

… In the meantime, we thought about adjusting the backup strategy and installed an additional Synologie NAS DS-920+ with 16TB:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8gyi51hi2nnjux/riwodot%20Chronosync%20Backupstrategie%20Skizze.pdf?dl=0

Oliver

Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022 at 12:22 pm

… and another realization that the rebuilding of the backup strategy has shown in recent days. The use of SoftRaid (as Raid5), which previously worked well for years on the mac Mini i7 together with a G-Speed eS, proved to be very unstable with two Fantec 4Bay towers. Backups there aborted several times and some of the HDDs were then no longer visible.

Raid 0 and 1 with the macOS on-board tools work fine with the other two Fantec 4Bay towers.

Since I’m slowly fed up, I have now uninstalled SoftRaid and instead ordered a Synology DS-1821+ in which we now connect the remaining HDDs to a Raid6.I hope then slowly to make a conclusion under the unpleasant chapter.

But there was a good news from the company NEC today. My Multisync PA271W can be repaired for 120€, because apparently only the power supply was defective, after all :).

Oliver

Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: November 26, 2022 at 9:10 am

… and then another issue that could not be solved on the new M1. The Wacom Intuos S tablet crashed the entire M1 as soon as the pen was used. On the i7 it ran without any problems for years, but on the M1 I could not get it to work despite several installation attempts and uninstallations. The driver is shown on the Wacom website up to MacOS 10.13, but according to the support supposedly also run with MacOS 12.6 (Monterey), which I can not confirm. By the way, it runs smoothly with Windows 11!

Alternatively, I then purchased a tablet type X-Pen Deco M, which works without problems and makes a very good impression.

The 8Bay Synology NAS is received today and is now gradually put into operation, but I am still waiting for 4 NAS HDDs, which are still in the mail.

Gradually, the entire IT comes but again in stable waters.

Reginald Villeponteaux
    Reginald Villeponteaux
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: December 5, 2022 at 7:42 pm

monitor NEC MultiSync PA271W, which has served very well for many years, just said goodbye in the middle of calibrating and profiling

I apologize for reviving this thread, but I would like to ask if you recall how many hours you had on your PA271. I have a PA272 with over 32 thousand hours and I

can’t help wondering how long its going to last. Fortunately, I have an identical monitor, almost new, in storage.

Thanks,

Dale

Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Silver Member
    Reply #8 on: December 6, 2022 at 4:31 am

Hello,

as soon as the unit is back from service, I’ll take a look at the operating hours in the menu.

Oliver

Reginald Villeponteaux
    Reginald Villeponteaux
    Participant
    Reply #9 on: December 6, 2022 at 2:39 pm

Thank you.

Regards,

Dale

Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Silver Member
    Reply #10 on: December 8, 2022 at 7:50 am

The NEC Multisync PA271W is probably on the way to me via UPS and I hope that it is then so far back in order and then as a second device next to an older EIZO WideGamut monitor at our reserve workstation.

@Dale: I read out the operating hours when the device is on the table :).

After I otherwise more than a week ago already thought to be through with all topics the update and the exchange of the hardware concerning, I had already noted that the Fantec 4bay Tower had problems with the power supply at the new Orico USB 3.2 Gen2 HUB and then, what however also at a USB 3.0 HUB as well as at a completely new RSHTECH USB 3.2 Gen2 HUB the case was, as soon as there were several devices connected.

Annoyingly, this forced me to make a change again, so I replaced the three Fantec 4Bay towers with three DAS QNap TR-002 2Bay HW-Raids, which worked fine on the new RSHTECH USB 3.2 Gen2 HUB.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8gyi51hi2nnjux/riwodot%20Chronosync%20Backupstrategie%20Skizze.pdf?dl=0

Looking back, it’s crazy what kind of problems I initially encountered, what kind of failures I had and what kind of problems I subsequently encountered when I thought I was close to the finish line.

Another interesting realization is how few DAS devices there are on the market that support Thunderbold or USB 3.1 Gen2, aside from the wickedly expensive Promise Pegasus. The G-Speed Q-DAS with Firewire and eSata interfaces that I had used for years were unfortunately taken off the market by Western Digital. The same goes for Synology, which only supports Ethernet. Only the QNap TR-002 came close to what I had in mind, although I would have preferred 4Bay devices to 2Bay devices, but it still seems to me that price and performance are right here and the devices provide pretty decent read and write performance, even if they are nowhere near the Promise Pegasus-DAS.

Oliver

Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Silver Member
    Reply #11 on: December 10, 2022 at 5:16 pm

Thank you.

Regards,

Dale

Hello Dale,

Nec is back. I can find 11523h working hours in Nec SpectraView II :).

Regards

Oliver

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.