Are these still true?

Viewing 7 posts - 25 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Are these still true? Read 19708 Times
  • Srdjan Mitrovic
    Srdjan Mitrovic
    Silver Member
    Are these still true?
    on: May 19, 2021 at 11:45 am

1. Never use image stabilization on a tripod.

If I do not forget, I always turn off stabilization on the tripod. When shooting with long lenses, the sensor may “wander” while trying to frame precisely. It makes framing very hard. This is especially true with IBIS. When shooting long exposure, the stabilization mechanism may move slightly which can cause a blur.

On a good tripod, there is no need for image stabilization. I prefer to turn off everything that is not needed.

2. Never delete an image in-camera

Unless it is an accidental shot of my shoes or the inside of the camera, I never delete an image in-camera as I do not trust the EVF or LCD to evaluate an image. The only benefit would be to have more memory (easily solved with more memory cards) and less work in the post (only if a lot of images are deleted). The disadvantage is the accidental deletion of an image.

3. Always reformat your memory card

It is good to at least occasionally reformat cards in order to defragment it. What is the advantage of deletion vs. formatting? Some Sony cameras take a very long time to format, but most do it quickly.

Daniel Koretz
    Daniel Koretz
    Participant
    Re: Are these still true?
    Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021 at 3:40 pm

Re IS on a tripod: what I have read is that newer, higher-end Canon lenses can sense when there is no movement–that is, when on a rock solid tripod–and lock the IS elements, making it safe to use the lens with IS turned on. I had thought that the 100mm L macro was one such lens, but I am not certain. I normally do turn IS off just to be safe (my tripod isn’t really rock solid), but I have sometimes forgotten to turn IS off and haven’t noticed a problem. I’ll check this more carefully.

Jeremy: thank you for stepping in with respect to tone. There is another photo forum I sometimes visit where the culture is for people to argue and insult each other, and it’s unpleasant and a waste. We can disagree without that.

J. D. Ramsey
    J. D. Ramsey
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021 at 8:56 pm

I’ve done this forever and never had one image corrupted.  I’m either living on the side of the angels (doubtful), or this old wives’ tale has bit the dust.

Robert Johnston
    Robert Johnston
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021 at 6:09 pm

Good advice. Can I just correct one item though. It is not possible for a memory card to become fragmented. Fragmentation is something that happens to hard drives only. However, if you want to erase everything on a card you have to format it. Always format in the camera and not in a PC or Mac. That is because the structure of the format may be different. There are often folders created for video for example.

Brad Smith
    Brad Smith
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021 at 12:12 am

Regarding IS and tripods…..just TEST IT for your body and lenses.  Quick, easy and more reliable for YOU than internet opinions which rarely reference their own tests.

Simon Simpson
    Simon Simpson
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021 at 4:28 am

Regarding IS and tripods…..just TEST IT for your body and lenses.  Quick, easy and more reliable for YOU than internet opinions which rarely reference their own tests.

Simon Simpson
    Simon Simpson
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: June 27, 2021 at 4:33 am

I did post a thumbs-up sign but it seems to have gone AWOL.

Viewing 7 posts - 25 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.