Are these still true?

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Are these still true? Read 19711 Times
  • John Sadowsky
    John Sadowsky
    Participant
    Are these still true?
    on: May 11, 2021 at 8:17 pm

John, this is really simple. It has NOTHING do to with engineering!

WTF – this is exactly a computer engineering issue.

JSS

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Re: Are these still true?
    Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021 at 8:29 pm

No, it’s not an engineering issue, it’s a use issue. Maybe you can look at this as a photographer and not as an ‘engineer’?

Your inability to answer my simple question about how you deal with your cards speak volumes.

Here is a copy and paste from MY camera manual. Here are the options to ‘clear’ my card so I can keep shooting new images: the hint comment is the fastest, easiest and there’s zero reason not to use it on top of all these facts:

Here are the options to ‘clear’ my card: the hint comment is the fastest, easist and there’s zero reason not to use it on top of all these facts:

Multiple Img.:

Deletes the selected images.

(1) Select the images to be deleted, then press the center of the control wheel. The

mark is displayed in the check

box. To cancel the selection, press the center again to remove the

mark.

(2) To delete other images, repeat step (1).

(3) MENU – [OK].

All in this Folder:

Deletes all images in the selected folder.

All with this date:

Deletes all images in the selected date range.

All Other Than This Img.:

Deletes all images in the continuous shooting group except the selection.

All in Cont. Shoot Grp:

Deletes all images in the selected continuous shooting group.

Hint

Perform [Format] to delete all images, including protected images.

Good hint!

I don’t know if you are purposely trying not to understand this, or if you are really struggling with it.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Andrew Rodney.
    John Sadowsky
    John Sadowsky
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021 at 8:43 pm

Not that Olympus (and other camera manufacturers) know John:

Where did I say anything about formatting a card in another device (a computer or other camera).  Of course, you format your mem0ry cards in your the camera it will be used in.  That said, obviously, there are industry standards and it is highly likely that memory cards formatted in different cameras will work just fine.

Don’t tell us this has “NOTHING to do with engineering” – fool!

JSS

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021 at 8:50 pm

You need to examine this as a user instead of what you believe to be; an engineer. Plus you have now failed again to answer a very simple question about how YOU reuse a card filled with images you don’t want any more and which you wish replace with new images.

Again, because you don’t seem to be paying any attention: ONE press of one item does this for me on my camera: Format. As you would see if you actually read the instructions for one actual camera, the fastest way, the easiest way to do so, without ANY harm is to use Format. So yeah, you’re struggling and trying not to understand. Yet I’m the fool?

IF it takes multiple steps to delete images on my camera, but one step to do so formatting the card, do tell us Dr. engineer, why I should not be doing this? I’m sure you can come up with amusing answer or, as seen today, no answer at all.

I suspect your goal in this post as the OP is best served elsewhere so I suggest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpAvcGcEc0k

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

John Sadowsky
    John Sadowsky
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021 at 9:32 pm

Post consisting entirely of personal abuse deleted by moderator.

JSS

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021 at 9:36 pm

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.” -Euripides

If and when you figure out how you handle deleting images on your camera cards, or why using the Format command in a camera to do so is a problem for anyone, let us know John.

Simon Simpson
    Simon Simpson
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021 at 2:55 am

Going back to ‘truism’ number one; don’t use image stabilisation on a tripod…

Fairly recently I was trying an image stabilised macro lens on a tripod with ‘live view’ at maximum magnification to manually focus.  After allowing everything to settle down I could see the image stabilisation ‘hunting’ very slightly even though the tripod was not suffering any vibration or movement and everything was tight and secure.  You could only really see this behaviour at the maximum magnification of ‘live view’, and I could not hear the stabilisation motor working, but the effect was clearly visible and stopped when the stabilisation on the lens was turned off.

This was with a Canon 5D Mk3 which does not have IBIS and is, of course, now ‘old’ technology.  The lens was Canon’s latest 100mm EF macro.

I wonder if newer technology does not exhibit this ?  Or perhaps we just don’t normally notice it ?

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021 at 3:31 am

John and Andrew: this must stop, and stop immediately. You are not posting in the Other Place, where this kind of futile bickering is (now) tolerated. Please don’t force me to take action against either of you.

Jeremy

John Sadowsky
    John Sadowsky
    Participant
    Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021 at 9:54 am

John and Andrew: this must stop, and stop immediately.

Jeremy is right.  This thread has spun out of control.  Reading through it is see that both Andrew and I have misinterpreted each other’s posts, and for my part in this, I express my apology to Andrew and the PhotoPXL community.

JSS

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #9 on: May 13, 2021 at 10:52 am

That’s much appreciated, John.  I started this site to be a community where we can share and learn and enjoy our common passion of photography.  We must take into account everyone’s point of view and use the forum as a place of discussion to benefits those that read it.  Thanks for your understanding and your participation as well as being part of the PXL family.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Simon Simpson
    Simon Simpson
    Participant
    Reply #10 on: May 13, 2021 at 12:11 pm

I think my post got covered in the rubble !

😆

John Sadowsky
    John Sadowsky
    Participant
    Reply #11 on: May 13, 2021 at 6:30 pm

I think my post got covered in the rubble!

Sorry about that.  🙁

I suspect there is a difference between optical stabilization and IBIS on the tripod issue.  I don’t have much experience with optical stabilization, other than my Sony 100-400, but that is a recent lens.  The thrust of my post was that things that may have been true in the past, may not be true today.  Technology just keeps getting better.

In this video, Chelsea Northup points out that tripods are not always 100% stable, depending on conditions, and so image stabilization can be useful even on a tripod.  I scanned a few other posts and found another one that makes the same point: “First off, let’s be clear — any discussion about Image Stabilization on a tripod refers ONLY to a truly rock-solid tripod.”  So that adds an additional dimension to this issue – even on a tripod stabilization can be useful.

There may be a difference for 3rd party lenses.  My experience with optical stabilization restricted to my Sony 100-400 on my Sony A7R3.  Supposedly the optical and A7R3 IBIS work together.  Well, we can only expect that to happen well if the lens and body are from the same manufacturer.

JSS

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.