Alabama Hills – Eastern Sierra, Sunrise – Moonset

Viewing 5 posts - 13 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Alabama Hills – Eastern Sierra, Sunrise – Moonset Read 17382 Times
  • Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Alabama Hills – Eastern Sierra, Sunrise – Moonset
    on: February 15, 2021 at 11:12 am

Thanks guys . . .  appreciated.

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Brian Kimball
    Brian Kimball
    Participant
    Re: Alabama Hills – Eastern Sierra, Sunrise – Moonset
    Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021 at 8:23 pm

Beautiful image.  I know this area of the Sierra well.  Is that Mt Whitney just to the right of the area directly below the moon?  Can’t tell with the clouds.

Whitney is obscured by the clouds near the center of the image.  I’m always amused by how the closer Lone Pine Peak dominates the skyline even though the tallest peak in the continental US is right next to it, albeit set much further back.  Oh well, can’t change physics.

And yes, beautiful shot!

Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021 at 8:49 pm

Beautiful image.  I know this area of the Sierra well.  Is that Mt Whitney just to the right of the area directly below the moon?  Can’t tell with the clouds.

Whitney is obscured by the clouds near the center of the image.  I’m always amused by how the closer Lone Pine Peak dominates the skyline even though the tallest peak in the continental US is right next to it, albeit set much further back.  Oh well, can’t change physics.

And yes, beautiful shot!

Yes… the perspective makes radical shifts in only a few miles difference, and Whitney is often “subjugated” by nearer objects.

Here’s my “hero shot” from last year.  Posted it before, but thought folk following my recent stuff might appreciate it:

GFX 100, 100-200 zoom.

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Eric Brody
    Eric Brody
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021 at 1:51 pm

I have photographed in this area as well and miss going down there. I agree with those that prefer the monochrome image. This is obviously a bias but to me photographs of the “grand landscape” almost always work better in monochrome. I am likely biased from viewing so many Ansel images but often, at least in my work, blue skies are extremely difficult to do well. You’ve done a great job but the monochrome image looks like “art” and the color one, while lovely, doesn’t cut it for me. Thanks for sharing these. When I did 4×5, eons ago, I gave up color because my work always looked like a postcard.

Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021 at 1:57 pm

Eric,

For the most part, I agree.  Unless “color is the subject” monochrome almost always shows shape and texture and tonality better.

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Viewing 5 posts - 13 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.